Sunday, September 18, 2005

Lightning is striking all over town

 

And I Drive...

 

It's late at night and I'm in my car

the sky is uniform and dark

with the moon peering out between the clouds 

the storm is far away and doesn't concern me

something that happens to other people

and I drive...

 

My car smells new and clean

rolling whisper quiet along the highway

the world only exists inside my headlights

an explorer in the interstate darkness

traveling the space between lamp posts

and I drive...

 

In the distance an angry jagged line

touches down and jumps in place

burning an after image in my eye

pale white ghost of a lightning strike

so far away there is no sound

and I drive...

 

Catalina jazz is playing on my radio

I stop at a light, the only one here

watch the light change from red to green

then yellow and red again,  and I look around

I am all alone, no one to keep waiting

and I drive...

 

I pass other cars, other people

shining their lights past me

looking for their way to go

red eyes that retreat into the night

leaving me alone again

and I drive...

 

Far away lightning backlights the sky

showing me the outline of the storm

I check for my friend the moon

and he is there, smiling down on me

I turn my car towards home

and I drive...

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment