Monday, July 25, 2005

Things sneak up on you

I spent all day long going through applications getting ready for my second round of interviews tomorrow.  I organized, I culled, I called...

When I arrived home I checked the mailbox to see if there was any mail for me but it was empty.  I looked to see if Ray had put any mail I might have received in my room, but nothing.  I microwaved three brats for my dinner and I remembered that I had forgotten to return a phone call from one of my old KB Toy's Managers.  So I call Linda and am chatting away about her life since KB Toy's bankruptcy and I carry my brats and huge glass of ice water into the living room.  She is telling me about her medical issues when I notice a FedEx mailing envelope sitting on the coffee table.  It's addressed to me.  Linda's Crone's Disease is getting worse and I am talking to her about that as I open the zip strip and remove a slim little envelope from the mailer.  I stare at the envelope and my forebrain does not register what it is yet.  I fold one edge and then another as I remove the edges along a perforated line.  My eyes betray me as it finally registers what I am holding.  I'm listening to Linda in my left ear, holding my very first paycheck in my right hand, and bawling like a baby all at the same time. 

Things sneak up on you...

 

Losing your job

Getting a divorce

It makes you doubt yourself a little

When things go right

it just feels so good...

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment