Saturday, July 30, 2005

The Pillars of Familiarity

 

The Pillars of Familiarity

 

The Mediterrian wind blows, the olive trees sway

and off in the distance the Sea sparkles

a brilliant blue, and I smile

Looking down, I see the tops

of the white washed homes

in the tiny little village

perched on the hillside far below

I can't hear their shouting

I can't see their tears

and I have only

the memory of the hard times

a shadow of a frown

that disappears in the noontime sun

I turn to the ruins, and I smile

broken rocks scattered in a circle

with four columns defying the heavens

still standing despite all these years

all the storms

all the wind

all the tears

they are weathered and cracked

white against the pale blue blue sky

standing

enduring

The Pillars of Familiarity

my support in times of trouble

I read what is written on each Pillar

one word only

etched in stone

Fader

Moder

Brothor

Freond

I walk the circle

and run my hand across each in turn

I know the cracks

I know the missing parts

and I love them all the more

and they love me

My Pillars

My Family

I settle down inside the stone circle

and I open the basket

and remove my lunch

and set it up just so

and I enjoy my time

on the Mountaintop

in the sun

amoung the ruins

in the circle of

my family

and I smile...

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment