Wednesday, May 24, 2006

I write because it makes me feel better to set things down...

 

an audience of one

 

the ceiling fan

skips a pattern

of shadows

across the face

of my digital clock

it flashes

the incorrect time

in an attempt 

to follow the beat

all is quiet

in my room

my laptop

hums to itself

I have a song

dancing

through my head

a catchy tune

familiar lyrics

I stare blindly

at the stacks

of things

I have accumulated

they don't look

as attractive now

just stuff

gathering dust

their stories fade

lose their meaning

did I really

go there

did I really

breath that air

or is it

someone else's story

I tap out the beat

on my keyboard

and try

to put it all down

so nothing else is lost

I perform for

an audience of one

 

David Austin Smith May 2006

 

 

(it's 1:13am and I'm not asleep)

No comments:

Post a Comment