THE AIRPORT AT MIDNIGHT
All the planes have landed
all the people have gone
back to their houses
their curtains are drawn
The Shops are closed
their gates are down
the walkways empty
no body around
The Airport is quiet
not a person in sight
only the Janitors are
up this late at night
The TV's are off
the music is low
if anything's happening
only Security'll know
The carpet is swept
the tile is shining
the Eateries are closed
there'll be no more dining
And here I sit
the earliest riser
six hours to departure
and none the wiser
The weather delayed me
my plane had flown
stuck in the Airport
I might have known
At A-Fifty-Five
I sit and wait
the first customer at
this particular gate
So I'm killing time
with my pen in hand
waiting to fly back
to my own land
St. Louis is calling
it's Detroit I'm leaving
a good night's sleep
is what I'm bereaving
So I've set the alarm
on my pocket phone
please do wake me
if it's ringing alone
So that's my plan
I'm sticking to it
listening for the announcement
I don't want to sleep through it
So if you see me
nodding there
please do wake me
from my slumbering chair
I'll be your buddy
I'll think you're real neat
for the St. Louis flight
I need to be on my feet
I appreciate the help
I appreciate the hand
to get me back to
my own land
I wrote this poem while stuck in Detroit, being out of work I was broke and when I missed the flight I waited in the Terminal till it was time to fly the next morning, Airports are real quiet late at night... DAS
ReplyDelete