Wednesday, April 4, 2012

I've been thinking a lot about my Father recently...

Dad's well read copy
Tomorrow is the 3rd Anniversary of my Father's death.  I usually unpack my Red/White/Blue Bunting and hang it on my balcony on April 5th, and leave it up until the 4th of July to honor my Dad.  I will do this this year also.  I picked up two books to look at that I had brought back to Missouri with me from Texas.  One: THINGS I BELIEVE IN, I had purchased and given to Dad.  The Second: GUNS, GERMS, AND STEEL, Dad had bought for himself and talked about a lot when we were together.  It was a bestseller in my Bookstore but I had never gotten around to reading it.  When I saw it in Dad's old study I brought it home with me.  Yesterday when I picked up this book I was surprised to find Dad's notes in the margins and his scribbles on maps and charts in the book.  He treated it like a text book and underlined passages he liked or thought important.  It was like going back in time to see his hand writing and ideas written in his book.  I can hear his voice talking about the ideas expressed about our civilization in Jared Diamond's book.  I just finished reading a book (reading is a generous term, I ended up skipping through the parts that I didn't like), so I'm ready to start a new read.  I am looking forward to reading this along side the notes by my Dad...
My Dad's hand written notes

No comments:

Post a Comment