Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Meramec Greenway - Oh How I Love Thee

When I ride I follow the Meramec River on the bike trails.  They are all paved and in pretty good condition (unless they are covered by flood mud).  "The Powers That Be" are connecting all the individual bike trails into a web of paved trails that will become the Meramec Greenway.  You will be able to completely circle St. Louis and ride all the way around just on the Greenway.  Today Tiffany walked 1/3 of my normal bike route and I ended up biking the same route twice (4.5 miles).  It was nice exercising with the girlfriend.  On a daily basis I get to see deer, frogs, cardinals, meadowlarks, bluebirds and various other wild birds.  The worst hazard I have come across is trying NOT to inhale the floating cottonwood seeds, they tickle going up your nose.  At the moment 1/3 of my usual bike route hasn't been cleared of mud from the last flood.  Of course this section is my favorite part to bike, it reminds me of Ft. Riley, KS.  This part of the trail is maintained by the City of Kirkwood and they are failing in their duties.  Two other smaller cities they have parts of the trial within their boundaries have done a better job clearing the mud and branches off of the trail and the parking lots.  Kirkwood can kiss my shiny heiney.  Even when I'm tired or not feeling like biking, as soon as I feel the wind in my face all is forgotten and I'm loving life.  Today I averaged 7 miles per hour, not one of my better days, but it was fun.  As soon as the Meramec River is down some I hope for a nice big thunderstorm to wash the trails clean of dirt/mud/leaves and small branches.  I've decided to replace my $200 Schwinn with a $500 Worksman bicycle.  After delivery charges it'll be a six hundred bike.  I'm going with the Retro Cruiser and will supplement the factory features with a set of flashing pedals and winged reflective hubcaps.  I'm not going to trick out the new bike like my first one but it will have spoke lights and a head light and tail light of some sort.  Here is a picture of the mentioned bike...

Pretty cool huh?  I've already named the bike and I don't even own it yet.  I am going to stick to a bell instead of a horn.  Horns are funny but WAY too obnoxious for polite usage.  Zoom Zoom...


David<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~loves riding his bike!


(and the bike will be called RAMBLER)

No comments:

Post a Comment