Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Wednesday November Bike Ride

Hello Faithful Reader.  Today I'm wearing a red Marlin Fishing Cap, aquamarine blue striped short sleeved polo, khaki shorts, red argyle socks and blue bobo tennis shoes.  I"m ready to ride.  I love biking on the Greenway, as soon as I start pedaling I smile.  We have an Indian Summer here in St. Louis.  It's Nov 10th., 75 degree weather and the sun is shining.  I'm pedaling along the paved bike path next to the Meremac River and loving life.  The wind is blowing the last of the leaves from the trees.  I watch Orioles and other meadow birds dart in and out of the brush next to the river.  Glancing down I notice a bird's shadow on the bike path and it's flying very erratically and moving along the same direction as I am.  The shadow is faint and indistinct and it makes the bird look like it's tumbling out of the sky.  As the shadow darkens I realize that it is not the shadow of a bird but the shadow of a cluster of leaves spinning as they fall to earth.  The leaves are joined to a common spindly stem and they spin crazily as they fall.  I'm riding along staring at the pavement watching the shadow get darker, more distinct and rapidily approaching life size.  Then from above the bill of my cap the leaves suddenly appear and smash into their shadow.  End of the trail for the cluster of leave but not for me.  I pedal on. 


Come to find out every time I run the entire Greenway I don't bike 6 miles, I bike 9 miles.  Who knew?  I was just starting on the next 9 miles when I started having trouble with my right pedal.  By the time I turned around and make it back the short distance to by car, the pedal actually falls off as I pull up to the back of my car.  In case you haven't heard: 
DO NOT BUY A SCHWINN BICYCLE!
I'm looking at buying a new bike, one that won't fall apart.  So far Workman and Trek bikes are in the lead.  Here is what they look like:


Workman Cruiser!

Streamliner Cruiser by Trek Bicycles


No comments:

Post a Comment