Sunday, August 16, 2009

This is a copy of the speech my Mom made at the dinner honoring her and my Father...

What can I say but WOW!!! I am honored that you have chosen Jerry & I for this distinguished honor as “GOOD NEIGHBORS” With the silence at my house lately I have had lots of time to think & ponder about Jerry, our sons David & Mark & mine & Jerry’s life together for 44 years as an Army family. It has been SOME exciting ride!!! Jerry started out as a part of the Army family in1958---but remember Jerry married me when I was only 5 years old (believe that?)
Colonel (RET) Jerry Austin Smith deserves this prestigious “GOOD NEIGHBOR” award and I thank you on his behalf. He was always there to support the Army family in any way he possibly could. If he was still here with us---he would be able to give you such an eloquent speech from his heart and meaning every word of it. He would also be standing here beside me lifting me up---smiling his wonderful smile & telling us all how important each one of us truly are!!! He was the “wind beneath my wings” and we made an awesome couple especially when we were younger. So, I have to take a deep breath---go own without him but know he is truly watching every move I make and giving me encouragement all the way. From the bottom of my heart, I love each one of you and I will try to live up to this most distinguished title of “GOOD NEIGHBOR”. I would like to leave you with this:

Why Don’t You Boogie Through Life
Don’t cry, because its over,
Smile because it happened.
Pain & suffering is enevitable
But Misery is Optional
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
Today is a gift.
That’s why it’s called: The Present.
A good exercise for the heart is to
Bend down and help another up.
Life is what you make of it….
Kinda like Play-Dah
The bubbling brook would lose its song
If you removed the rocks.
Happiness comes through doors
You didn’t even know you left open.
Everything is always okay in the end,
If it’s not, then it’s not the end.
If all my friends jumped off a cliff,
I wouldn’t jump with them.
I would be at the bottom to catch them.
Here is a test to find whether your
Mission on earth is finished:
If you’re alive, it isn’t.
So, be happy!
Don’t let anything burst your balloon!
Just Boogie through life!
Have a real happy day today! Enjoy it because you got up this morning.

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting “WOW, what a ride!”

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment